It’s always interesting to bring back to [our clients] what we’ve found and open their eyes to who their community is. Sometimes it’s spot on with what they think and other times it’s quite different.
—Cynthia Thomas, Co-Founder and Oracle of UX at Translator @deziner
Working for clients means each community you manage is unique – with different goals, measurement methods and reporting structures for community managers. For Community Manager Appreciation Day we connected with those working in marketing and advertising agencies.
- Suzanne Marlatt, Edelman Digital @applegirl
- Nick Lucido, Edelman Digital @nicklucido
- Katy McGarr, Edelman Digital @kateymcgarr
- Jonha Revesencio, Leo Burnett (IKEA) @jonharules
- Tina Yip, R/GA @tina_yip
- Katie Felten, Community Builder at Translator @KatieFelten
- Cynthia Thomas, Co-Founder and Oracle of UX at Translator @deziner
- Brandon Hill, Co-Founder at BTC Revolutions @speaktothegeek
Our panelists connected on the storytelling component of relaying community success back to their clients. While Tina pointed out that clients want to see the numbers, Cynthia added that the most powerful thing you can do is to help your client experience their community. Jonha added that the stories help her clients realize the difference between what is effective in traditional advertising vs what is effective in the digital realm.
Just knowing the demographics of your community isn’t going to let you engage with them on a relevant more personal level. There’s always a great two or three striking images that back up a wealth of data. Here are the proof points but on top of that lets take you down to this micro-level, here is Bob in Wisconsin and here’s how his tweets and his posts and his demographics line up with this data that we found.
—Brandon Hill, Co-Founder at BTC Revolutions @speaktothegeek
If you’re interested in an agency perspective on community management and the added challenges that go with it in building client trust and understanding, definitely check out our full recording with Edelman Digital, Leo Burnett, R/GA, Translator and BTC Revolutions:
Latest posts by Sherrie Rohde (see all)
- Passing the torch: Meet the new CMAD crew! - December 2, 2016
- “The time has come,” the team has said. - October 27, 2016
- Reflections on Community Manager Appreciation Day 2016 - January 27, 2016